Skip to main content

Classic NL – Mind Radio

Loading metadata…

Israel Seizes Gaza Flotilla Off EU Coastline — And Greece and Cyprus Have Questions to Answer

Israeli naval commandos boarded vessels of the Global Sumud Flotilla in international waters off Cyprus on Monday morning — deep inside the maritime neighbourhood of two European Union member states, neither of which has taken any public action to stop it. The interception, the third in roughly a year and the second carried out hundreds of kilometres from Israel's coast, seized a number of the convoy's lead boats and detained hundreds of activists from 45 countries; the remainder were expected to turn back. The flotilla had departed the Turkish port of Marmaris on Thursday, May 14, bound for Gaza, whose Israeli naval blockade has been in place since 2007.

Livestreams from the flotilla showed commandos in tactical gear boarding several of the lead vessels with weapons drawn, while activists wearing life jackets raised their hands and, in some cases, threw mobile phones into the sea before transmissions cut. According to Israeli reporting, the operation was designed to seize roughly 20 of the largest boats in the hope that the remainder would turn back; activists were transferred to a holding ship described by Israeli officials as a "floating jail" bound for the port of Ashdod. A flotilla spokeswoman told Qatar's Al-Araby channel that contact had been lost with most of the intercepted vessels and that organisers would "sue [Israel] for violating the law of the sea and for piracy." Turkey reported losing contact with 23 boats.

Shortly before the boarding began, Israel's Ministry of Foreign Affairs called the convoy "a provocation for the sake of provocation" with "no humanitarian aid," said it existed "to serve Hamas" and to obstruct President Trump's peace plan, and demanded participants "change course and turn back immediately." The ministry cited the U.S.-led Board of Peace, established under UN Security Council Resolution 2803, and noted that more than 1.58 million tonnes of humanitarian aid have entered Gaza since the October 10, 2025, ceasefire. Organisers and rights groups reject the characterisation, arguing that the boarding of civilian vessels in international waters is unlawful regardless of the cargo on board.

This is the second time in seven months that Israel has stopped a Gaza-bound flotilla nowhere near Gaza. On April 30, Israeli forces intercepted more than 20 boats from the same movement near the southern Greek island of Crete, initially detaining about 175 activists. Most were expelled back to Europe; two were held in Israel for several days before deportation, and rights groups said they were mistreated in custody — allegations Israel denies. No charges were filed. The new Cyprus interception, like the Crete operation before it, took place hundreds of kilometers from the Israeli coast and well inside the maritime approaches of EU member states.

The pattern raises pointed questions about the role of Greece and Cyprus. Both are EU member states bound by the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea, which protects freedom of navigation on the high seas and limits the circumstances in which a third state may board foreign-flagged vessels outside its own territorial waters. Neither government has, on the public record, intercepted or sought to prevent Israeli naval action against civilian flotillas transiting waters adjacent to their coasts, nor have they offered consular protection or safe harbor to detained nationals of other EU states taken from those waters. Legal scholars and the flotilla's own counsel have characterized the boardings as piracy under international law; if that characterization holds, the acquiescence — or operational cooperation — of the two nearest EU coastal states is not a peripheral question. It goes to whether Brussels' members are, by inaction, lending cover to conduct their own treaty obligations forbid.

The Global Sumud Flotilla is organised by the same Turkish network behind the 2010 Mavi Marmara, the raid on which left ten activists dead and triggered a years-long diplomatic rupture between Israel and Turkey. As of Monday afternoon local time, some vessels were reportedly still under way and continuing to livestream; Israeli officials said they expected the remainder of the convoy to abandon the attempt once its lead boats had been seized.